Course: MARY AFST 508: Field Research Principles and Practice: Advanced
(Students in their fourth to sixth courses)
Dates: Taught in all programs as an integral part of each course. The course is designed for students in their fourth to sixth course.
This dimension of the program is designed to further develop the research skills of students who have participated in the previous years. Like the foundational dimension, this training is intertwined with courses being taught each session and is under the direction of the professors teaching the courses.
Research elements for advanced level:
1) Three workshops on how to intensify one’s field research, work more efficiently with a field assistant, and do in-depth analysis of collected data.
2) Three sessions each week for three weeks in the Immersion programs, and one session each week for twelve weeks in the Semester programs doing field research in and about Nairobi under the guidance of the professors on situations and issues relevant to the materials being taught in the classroom.
3) A weekly written research report.
4) Integration of the data collected from research into the final papers required for the courses.
5) A written skill evaluation advanced test measuring one’s comprehension of research techniques and methods.