MARY AFST 508: Field Research Principles and Practice: Advanced
(Students in their fourth to sixth courses)
Dates: Taught in all programs as an integral part of each course. The
course is designed for students in their fourth to sixth course.
This dimension of the program is designed to further develop the
research skills of students who have participated in the previous years.
Like the foundational dimension, this training is intertwined with
courses being taught each session and is under the direction of the
professors teaching the courses.
Research elements for advanced level:
1) Three workshops on how to intensify one's field research, work more
efficiently with a field assistant, and do in-depth analysis of
2) Three sessions each week for three weeks in the Immersion programs,
and one session each week for twelve weeks in the Semester programs doing field research in and
about Nairobi under the guidance of the professors on situations and
issues relevant to the materials being taught in the classroom.
3) A weekly written research report.
4) Integration of the data collected from research into the final
papers required for the courses.
5) A written skill evaluation advanced test measuring one's
comprehension of research techniques and methods.